• October 13PARENT TEACHER CONFERENCES - NOVEMBER 1ST - 1 PM/7 PM. NOVEMBER 2ND 12/8 PM

Learning to Lead

Students prepare for another day of the LEAD Conference.

Sherri Miller

Sherri Miller

Madie Young

Do you consider yourself a leader? Just take a few minutes to think about that. During the days of February 9th through the 12th, select members of the National Junior Honor Society took a trip to Chicago Illinois for a LEAD Conference. Leaving early, at approximately 7:43, for Chicago from Union Station in Downtown. The students and their advisers took an eight-hour train ride to Chicago’s own Union Station. “(the transportation) was fun and efficient when we got there on time,” Liz Avila said about the mode of transportation taken around Chicago, which mostly involved trains. The conference was in Lombard, IL at the Westin Lombard Hotel. “We spent four days bonding and learning about each other,” stated Liz. The students stayed four to a hotel room with advisers nearby.

The advisers (teachers/staff) were a big part of this trip, and a big part of many students lives at school. The attending advisers included Lora Kurzweil, Sherri Miller, David Mitchell, and Sherri Nitz. “They (the advisers) helped me know what it was like to be a leader and to be selfless in helping others,” Sage Buckley said about the impacts of the advisers. Before the morning keynote speaker on the last day, students signed a card to give to Coach Miller in appreciation for all she does.

During the conference, three successful and inspirational keynote speakers attempted to reach out and connect with all 800 plus students. Robert Pruitt, Eddie Slowikowski, and Heather Schultz were the keynotes who spoke. “Robert Pruitt helped me come out of my shell and be myself around others,” Sage Buckley said. The sessions also had motivational information and activities that helped students become better leaders, more comfortable with themselves, and working with others. “They (the sessions) were really cool, I learned a lot about teamwork and how small things can make a big difference,” Taylor Bramble stated.

Anyone can become a leader with the right idea. “They can help other people in their community to become better people,” Taylor Bramble said about how to become a better leader. Being a leader doesn’t mean being the leader or the boss, it means to guide others down the right path. The NJHS is working on several projects that will be coming up soon to share what they have experienced.